Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Working Bear - Part 2



I have an interview today at 4:00 today.  I got myself all decked out, right down to a tie.  I haven't worn a tie in sometime, but I think that I got it nailed.  Yeah, I may be a bit overdressed for the job I'm interviewing for... it's a gas station by the way, but the key is to dress for success.  I will get this job.

You see, I was raised to believe that clothes do make an individual when it comes to employment.  You have to show that you'll be with them for a good long time, and that you care about your appearance.  Which brings me to this, and it thoroughly puzzles me. 

I have seen people show up in tee-shirts, torn jeans and old sneakers for interviews, they think that they'll get the job just by showing up and having a wee bit of experience under their belt, then they're surprised when they don't get hired, screaming that it's unfair.  Here's a clue, dress appropriately.  It doesn't matter if you're interviewing for a high ranking job or you're pumping gas, that first impression matters.

I don't expect everyone to wear a tie, but c'mon, at least a nice polo shirt and khakis, that at least shows you have some confidence.  If you show up looking like you just rolled out of bed, then don't expect to get hired.  Businesses care about their outward appearance, and their employees should reflect that as well.

That's all I have to say on the matter..

-Radar

No comments:

Post a Comment